Filing Due Dates

Taxpayers living abroad receive an automatic extension until June 15, 2018 to send in their 2017 income tax returns. This due date can be extended to October 15, 2018 if a request form is filed. Finally, it’s possible to send a letter to the IRS asking for a second and final extension to December 15, 2018.

However, if tax is due it must be paid by April 16, 2018 in order to avoid interest charges. You may make a prepayment by April 16th and only file your tax return by the extended due date.

The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) must be electronically filed by April 16, 2018 with an automatic extension possible until October 15, 2018. There can be severe penalties for late filing of the FBAR so it’s very important that it be filed on time.

The IRS has become much stricter about when and how tax returns must be sent from abroad to be considered as timely filed. Please find further information in our flyer «Mailing Your Tax Return».

Who must file a U.S. tax return?
What is the Report of Foreign Bank Accounts (FBAR)?
What if my income level is less than the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?
What about the double-taxation treaty between the United States and Switzerland?
Anything else I should know?